Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Power Of Understanding: It Really Works!

Do you ever wonder why your teen's eyes roll back in their head every time you offer an opinion or think you have the answers to all of their problems. Most assuredly you are probably right! But unless you figure out a more effective way to deliver your message than " well you know honey, here is what I would do, and then blah blah blah,"you will undoubtedly walk away from these encounters unhappy.

Before you offer up your opinion, your teen has to first feel that you really do understand what they are dealing with. So for example, if your teen comes back from a practice and rants on and on about the coach and how he/she is an asshole, and never gives them any play, and is so mean and they want to quit, you have several ways to respond. You can say" You are not quitting, you are part of the team, and this is the way it is, suck it up!" Or you could say, " you know what honey, that guy really is an asshole, want me to give him/her a call and see if I can get him/her to give you more playtime." Or you could say, " you know honey, I think you should go up to the coach after practice, and let him know that you feel that he is not giving you enough play, and if he/she is having a problem with you, just let you know so you can work on it." All three of these responses indicate that you know better, and that you have the solution to the problem. While any one of these might take care of the problem, the response from your teen will probably be more like, " NO that's stupid, you don't understand, that's ridiculous, see that's why I never tell you anything.!" And so now you are hurt and mad at them because they think you are stupid, so instead of a warm fuzzy moment, you both stomp away completely unsatisfied with each other. 

Here is an alternative that works literally in every situation. It is what I call an " I get it" moment. Who doesn't want to be understood? We all do. There really is nothing more powerful then when someone "gets you". So in the above situation, rather than offering up an instant solution, you might start with an " I get how this feels really unfair. I get sitting on the bench sucks. What do you think is going on with the coach?"  This approach takes a lot longer, but your teen needs to learn how to process feelings and turn them into action him or herself.  If you give a solution they will tell you that you are stupid, I can almost guarantee it. But if you try to get them to solve the problem, you come out smelling like a rose.

These I get it moments work when your teen breaks curfew or doesn't do their homework, or gets disrespectful towards you, or doesn't take out the garbage, or screams at his/her younger siblings. Literally anywhere anyhow. " I get your brother can be a pain in the ass lets......" rather than "if you hit your brother one more time I'm taking away your phone, your computer..." " I get taking out the garbage is the absolutely last thing you want to be doing, lets figure out...." rather than" I am sick and tired of asking you to take out the garbage, you are lazy and ungrateful." I get you get caught up with your friends and lose track of the time, lets figure out a way...." rather than, you're grounded, I am sick of your excuses. "I get you are pissed off at me, and hate me sometimes, how can we do better?" rather than don't you ever talk to me that way again, I'm taking away your phone!

If you were a teenager which statement would encourage you to talk?

14 comments:

  1. But understanding the matter is a bit tricky. Choosing the moment can be a challenge too.
    compare airport parking deals Luton
    cheap parking Luton

    ReplyDelete
  2. One such blueprint from the HostGator's fortune box is the totally standard hostgator discount codes Baby empowering course of action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can even enough offer records between your Windows Phone, Apple or Android telephone, and your Mac orSHAREit for Windows 7 Installing SHAREit on your PC is a to an extraordinary degree clear errand, simply download it to your PC and twofold tap on the report you have downloaded to begin the establishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utilizing the Lucky Patcher application is simple. Effortlessly you can evacuate permit checks and expels every one of the promotions in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do whatever it takes not to get terrified by the name. SilentGhost HD isn't a nebulous About Silent Ghost vision whisperer or a ghost charmer device

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is so nice to me. I will continue to come here again and again. Visit my link as well. Good luck
    bigrock hosting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice I am my worst enemy so these tips helped tremendously! I do need to take better care of myself I am a caregiver it’s my job CNA, so I tend to put myself off a lot but now I’m gonna take these tips and put them to work! Thanks

    ReplyDelete