Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What Teen's Want Most From Their Parents

Here are some thoughts from 60  teens, 14-18 I surveyed a few years back, just a reminder of the simple things teens need from Mom and Dad.

I LOVE WHEN MY PARENT (S):
  • Ask me to go places with them because I really don’t get to do that a lot.
  •  Make me the center of attention because it makes me feel loved.
  • Tell me I’m doing good, because it makes me feel good about myself.    
  • Praise me and say they are proud, and I love when they listen,  actually listen, because it makes me feel like they are interested and proud of me.
  • Spend time just watching TV with me, because I never get to spend time with them.
  • Tell me when they are proud of me because it makes me feel good.
  • Say good job, we knew you could do it, because it gives me confidence to succeed in life.
  • Say they are proud of me to others because it shows that they notice the good things, instead of just punishing me for the bad.
  • Are wicked nice to me because it makes me feel like my parents actually care.
  • Say they are proud of me, it makes me feel self fulfilled.
  •  Aren’t rushing into conclusions about things because it makes me feel like for one second they aren’t judging me.
  • Take what I say seriously and believe me because it lets me know they trust me as much as I trust them.
  • Hear me out and listen to something I say, because it’s frustrating when they only listen to themselves.
  • Ask me to do things with them because it’s the best.
  • Talk to me, because it shows they care.
  • Tell me that they trust me and that they are proud of me because I like to feel like my parents are happy with me and I don’t want to disappoint them.
  • Tell me they are proud of me, because it makes me feel like I actually did some good for them.
  • Can just talk and hang out and have fun with me because it makes me feel more connected and more equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment